Saturday, August 20, 2005

not a good title

my girlfriend and i are broken up.

it is my fault. i am a man and men, i am learning, are bastards. the real men aren't, but then i'm not really a real man -- i'm a 25 year old boy, and i haven't figured out how to grow up yet or take care of myself, much less someone else who is relying on me to be the man i presented myself as. but i am not him.

i didn't cheat; technically, i've never cheated. i've broken trust with girlfriends before, and those situations involved other girls, but it has either never gotten to a physical point, or it has gotten physical only after a girlfriend had decided we should "take a break." but when its all said and done, its just a technicality, isn't it?

somewhere in my heart i cheated. i'm a bastard for doing it, and i think i am aware now that it was all about ego. i had been texting another girl, a girl from work, who was not my girlfriend; but she was young and attractive and flirtatious and devilish, and i don't know if she directed all those things at me or if i am just especially weak, but i fell in love with the sexual tension and the idea that i was good enough for it. and we had texted some things we shouldn't have, each of us being in relationships. it was nothing too outrageous -- we kept it PG-13, and i kept all of her texts, and my girlfriend found them and i have never felt so bad to see such a look on someone's face: she never deserved that. and as much i wish i could take it all back, my ego still hides those texts close in its heart, and i can't be someone like that in a relationship, and i can't figure out how to make it go away while i'm in a relationship.

it is probably the most dangerous thing i've ever done, letting my amazing girlfriend go, even after she was willing to forgive me. but she would not forget, and i wouldn't blame her, and as long as i am the guy that i am, it would only happen again -- and i need to not be that guy, and i have to figure out how to do that.

this other girl was in greece for a month; she just got back this week; she just texted me ten minutes ago.

the same curious buzz of my phone-on-vibrate, the familiar message icon, blinking with urgency; the thrilling ripple in my ego:

"how was buffalo while i was gone?"

changed in all the wrong ways;
just the same, in all the wrong ways.

sun, aug 14, 7:00 pm

2 comments:

girish said...

hey phil~
i'm sorry to hear it, man.
but perhaps it was for the best.
take care of yourself there....

phil said...

yeah...stuff happens sometimes. and sometimes stuff is my fault. ah well. live and learn, right?